Memorial Service-Alfonso's Speech

For Isaac

First Aubrey and I would like to thank all of you for being here. This is an extremely difficult time for us and our family and it means so much to us for you all to be here. Many of you have loved on us in so many different ways. Through prayer, bringing meals, sending emails and letters of love, visiting us and so many other ways. We are forever great full.

Today I want to tell you about my son Isaac. His story begins with Aubrey and I’s struggle to have children. Through many years of struggling with infertility – we were overjoyed in May when we learned we were pregnant. This joy became worry when several weeks later Aubrey felt excruciating pain and we took her to the emergency room. As we gazed at the sonogram screen nothing prepared us for what we would see. At barely five weeks we saw a tiny flutter on the screen that was the heart beat of our baby! We cried tears of joy, but the pain persisted.

And Aubrey and I prayed for our baby and lifted him up to God.

Several days later we would learn that we had been pregnant with twins and one of them was an ectopic pregnancy. This required Aubrey to have emergency surgery. We will never forget the look of worry on our doctor’s face as he told us he would do his best but gave our living baby a 50/50 chance of survival.

And Aubrey and I prayed for our baby and lifted him up to God.
After the surgery the doctor in awe explained that the ectopic pregnancy had ruptured. Aubrey was blessed to be alive. We recognized it as a miracle and believe that God protected her. Our faith grew and we praised God for what he had done!
We had to wait 4 days until we would find out about our baby…and we were overwhelmed with joy again when we saw the heartbeat of our baby. This time it was stronger and the baby had grown. The doctor even said that the baby was on target and was right where he was suppose to be. We praised God and thanked him for what He had done.

And Aubrey and I prayed for our baby and lifted him up to God.

Every day we prayed for our child. Then came the day when Aubrey called me and said, “Its a boy!” Our hearts rejoiced and I began to dream of life with a son. And like most couples do we broke out all the baby name books to decide on a name.
From the very beginning the name Isaac seemed to have appeal to both of us. First we liked the way it sounded. Isaac Longoria. Second and most importantly we wanted meaning in his name…and we thought of the story of Abraham in the book of Genesis. Some of you may be familiar with the story of Abraham and his wife Sarah and their struggle with infertility. For many years they prayed for a child. Finally at a very very old age Sarah became pregnant with a son and they named him Isaac which means “laughter.” Later God would ask Abraham to give his son Isaac by faith back to God which Abraham did and his faith was credited to him as righteousness.
Aubrey and I felt that we had by faith trusted our God with our baby and ultimately believed that our baby really belonged to God. So we gave him name Isaac.

And Aubrey and I prayed for Isaac and lifted him up to God.

Isaac was a very active baby – Aubrey would often say he was doing flips- He was a joyful and energetic baby.

Isaac means laughter.

Every time Isaac would start moving I would rush to place my hands on Aubrey’s tummy to feel him and I would never get there in time- and would say “c’mon Isaac..move for me!” Finally one weekend (the weekend before he passed) I was able to feel him move – he was so strong- this moment in our life is so holy and sacred- and I told Isaac that I loved him. This would be one of the last times we felt Isaac move.

We do not understand why this happened. Why Isaac is no longer here. We have had great pain and anguish over our loss and we miss our beautiful son so deeply.
Isaac Everett was delivered at 1:35 am on October 18th. He was so beautiful and perfect. He had Aubrey’s beautiful face, my big ears, and my big feet. As my brother in law Aaron told me this week – “Isaac was destined to be at least a size 15 in shoe size”
Those 5 or so hours that we got to spend with Isaac will forever be in our memory as one of the most holy and precious moments we will experience outside of heaven. Right after Isaac was delivered – Aubrey and I - alone with our son said a prayer and prayed, “God we don’t know your plans or why this happened, but we lift up our son Isaac and we give him to you. He is yours.”

And as I held Isaac before he was taken away and my tears flowing over him as I grieved the loss of my precious son. The Lord God spoke to me as clearly as I’ve ever heard God speak to me.
He said, “His life will not be wasted. I have a great purpose for him. I will use him for my glory!”

My loved ones – since Isaac’s delivery I have been amazed at how many people have told me that their faith has grown because of Isaac, how their understanding of the message of Jesus has come to a greater depth of understanding. Relationships are being healed; Aubrey and I have grown closer and have experienced great intimacy in our marriage.
I also believe that Isaac reminds us that no matter what our limitations or circumstances, God can and will use us for good and his glory if we allow him to by giving up our lives to him! Everyone here has a purpose in this world no matter what gifts or talents you have!
Finally, my own understanding of heaven and eternity has greater and much sweeter significance because of Isaac. I now have a much deeper longing for heaven and the hope of eternity drives my life even more today.
I believe that this is only a glimpse of how God will use our son. I believe there are so many other ways that we will never know until that day of glory!

And though Aubrey and I are in great pain and sorrow for the loss of Isaac – we are clinging with every fiber of our being to the hope that is in Jesus Christ. You see… God gave up his only son Jesus and because of His death eternal life and heaven is a certainty for us and those who believe and this is our great hope! This week a particular song has ministered to me. Its called “I Will Rise” – I’ve been calling it Isaac’s song. But here are some particular lyrics that have provided great comfort to me that I want to share with you:

There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"
There's a day that's drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes
Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise I will rise

And Very soon there will come a day when the Lord will call my name and I will rise into eternity. And as I approach the great pearl gates of heaven – there waiting for me will be my son Isaac. In his glorious new body – still with his mother’s face and my big ears and my big feet, size 15 and all J – he will smile and laugh and say “Welcome home dad! This place is awesome! I’ve been waiting for you!” And I will hug him, and touch, and kiss him and be able to see my son. Then Isaac will say “come on dad, let us worship the savior and King!” And Isaac and I will fall on our knees and worship the King together forever!

Issac,
We love you,
We miss you,
We are proud of you,
We will see you someday.

5 comments:

  1. I just sit here crying... it's a most precious and beautiful speech, my friends. I like to think my little one welcomed Isaac into heaven too, and they're joyfully playing at the feet of Jesus. Love and prayers to you both.

     
  2. What a beautiful speech. It's amazing to hear Isaac's story and know that God has great plans for him and his life. I can feel your faith and strength just reading these words 1500 miles away. I know seeing you in person we'd be able to see God shining through you and your words. I love your heart in these words. We love you! Joel and Jess

     
  3. Thank you for sharing that. I love you both. Leigh

     
  4. Aubrey and Alfonso-
    I am so sorry for your loss. Sorry that we could not be with you. We were there in spirit and prayer.

    Your speech (thank you for sharing it with those of us who are so far away)was heart rendering and it touched me deeply for I know our time will come.

    Yes GOD is good, even when we don't understand the reasons. Keep the faith because you are destin for good things (these are promises from Jesus.

    Love
    Jimmie, Sylvia, Chloe

     
  5. Amazing!! God certainly uses you to speak to all of us!
    I love and miss Isaac as well. I have visited him a couple of times, and his life has brought strength to mine. I love you Isaac, thank you for sharing your life with us.